April is a month dedicated to raising awareness about sexual violence and increasing the public’s understanding about sexual violence in our society. It also provides opportunities for the community to be directly involved in supporting victims and survivors, their families, and organizations that provide crisis intervention throughout the year. Sexual violence prevention requires many voices and roles. Prevention is possible and we all can make a difference. Here’s how YOU can make a difference:
- Intervene to stop concerning behavior
- Speak up when you hear rape jokes or harmful comments
- Believe and support survivors
- Create prevention policies at your workplace or school
- Coordinate a community event to raise awareness
- Talk with neighbors about ways everyone can get involved
- Email legislators to gain support for prevention and services
- Support the agencies who provide services for survivors: DONATE
Visit the Sexual Assault Awareness Month homepage to learn more.
Although DVSAC makes a concerted effort to raise awareness and encourage prevention throughout the year, we hold special events in April to highlight sexual violence as a major issue.
Love Your Body Day– No matter what shape, size, or color our body is LOVE IT! It’s the only one we get! @ Sierra College Nevada County Campus
Free Legal Clinic– Drop in to speak to a volunteer family law attorney
10:00-2:00pm @ DVSAC
Denim Day– Wear denim in protest of myths surrounding sexual assault.
All Day Event